How to Apply for the New Digital Number Plates
Step by step guide on How to apply for new Digital number plates
The Government of Kenya launched the new generation number plates which will be mandatory to all motor vehicle owners. These License plates are arguably the most attractive Kenya motor vehicles have ever had. They feature a hologram, a QR Code, NTSA Serial Number and a Kenyan Flag. These new features will help enhance security by reducing motor vehicle theft cases. They will incorporate all the vehicles information including the car owner details, year of manufacture, chassis number, color and year of registration.
How much is New number plate in Kenya?
Motor vehicles will pay Kes. 3000 while motorbike owners will pay Kes 1500 to get new digital number plates.
How long does it take to register new number plate?
After your application is captured, the new license plates will be out in 2 weeks. However due bulk applications the application may take longer.
What is the deadline for application of new number plates in Kenya?
Issuance of new Generation number plates in Kenya started in October 2022 and motor owners were given 18 months to replace their old plates.
Step by step guide on How to apply for new Digital number plate
- Log-in to your NTSA Tims Account. ( Visit; https://timsvirl.ntsa.go.ke )
2. Click on Vehicle Registration Menu
3. Click on Reflective Number Plate
4. Select the vehicle you would like to apply for new generation license plate from the list of your vehicles.
5. Verify all the vehicle details and click next.
6. Select “New Generation Plate” on the reason for applying for the Reflective Number Plate
7. Choose how you would like to be notified once the new generation number plate is ready. i.e either by Email or SMS or Select both.
8. Select the format/type of front & back number plate. i.e Either Oblong or Square
9. Select your convenient NTSA Digital number plate collection office.
10. Upload in PDF Format the original Logbook and clear front & rear number plates.
11. Wait to be notified when your new generation number plates are ready for collection.
12. Carry your old license plates when collecting the new generation license plates.